Little Hearts


We were excited that we had conceived the first month of trying for our second child. At our 20 week ultrasound, the technician asked if my dates could be wrong because the baby was measuring two weeks behind. I later received a phone call from my Nurse Practitioner saying that there were issues with the ultrasound and that I should sit down. She said that the baby only had two chambers of the heart and that the baby had Spina Bifida. She also said that she had scheduled us to meet with a Perinatologist to do a more detailed ultrasound. We went to the appointment and learned that these were traits of Trisomy 18. We had the detailed ultrasound to look at the heart and spine more closely. We also saw several cysts in the brain and a two vessel umbilical cord. It was suggested that I have an amniocentesis to determine for sure if it was Full T18 so we decided to go ahead and have it done. We got the results a few days later that it was a Full T18.

We also decided to find out the sex of the baby so that we could better plan things. We found out that we were going to have a little girl so we decided to name her Hannah Rachelle. Hannah means God-blessed and Rachelle is my middle name.

On February 5th, 2007, I had contractions about 10 minutes apart beginning around 6:45pm. We left for the hospital around 12:10am. While in the car, they were coming 2-3 minutes apart. We got to the hospital at 12:50am and Hannah was born at 1:11am on February 6th. We weighed 3lbs 11.1 ounces and was 15 1/4 inches long. She had dark blue eyes and lots of dark hair. She was breathing on her own and never needed any extra assistance. We had professional photos taken of our whole family with Hannah and were able to go home in the evening on the same day that she was born. Sadly, she was too small and not strong enough for heart surgery.

We were told that she could only live a couple of hours to 48 hours without any intervention. That last night that we had with her, we finally went to bed at midnight (Hannah was still wide awake - looking around) and I set my alarm for 4am to feed her and change her. When my alarm went off, it took me a few minutes to fully wake up as I was so tired. Hannah's eyes were still wide open looking around but she seemed less responsive than usual. We then fed her with the syringe and she became even less responsive. Sometime during the feeding, she peacefully left us. I didn't notice that she wasn't breathing until we had finished feeding her. She looked so sweet and peaceful. Hannah died around 4:30am on February 8, 2007. She was 51 hours and 19 minutes old.

Story by Hannah's mom, Kristin of Colorado

« previous
next »

Become a Member Arrow
  • No cost to join
  • Access to support services
  • Connect with other parents
Share your Stories of Hope Arrow

Have a baby that is newly diagnosed with a CHD? Read our stories of HOPE from other people just like you.

Little Hearts, Inc.

P.O. Box 171, Cromwell, CT 06416
Phone/Fax (860) 635.0006  Toll Free 866.435.Hope
SecurityMetrics for PCI Compliance, QSA, IDS, Penetration Testing, Forensics, and Vulnerability Assessment Web Solutions Connecticut CT Web Design & Development Company