top of page
Kyla, 2004

Kyla, born 2004

In 2004, I found out I was pregnant for the first time; the doctors always said I could not have children, but I finally got pregnant. My husband and I were excited, just waiting for the baby to come. Our luck was not really going good; I had a bad pregnancy, high blood pressure, my heart was in the first stages of congestive heart failure, but as months went on I just hoped for the best.


Needless to say, the doctors had to do a c-section and Kyla was born on December 11, 2004 at 1:20 pm. we were just ready to take our new baby home when the doctors came in to tell us that they were going to have to take Kyla to a bigger hospital for some test on her little heart. We later learned she had Tetralogy of Fallot. I was in so much shock; words could not even explain how I felt. I had to stay in this hospital while my baby was in a hospital 30 minutes away. They were going to do Kyla's first surgery in the next day or so, so they let me out to go be with her.


Kyla had her first surgery when she was two days old. They had to put a shunt in until Kyla got big enough to have the corrective surgery. In September of 2005, her cardiologist said it was time for Kyla's surgery and he thought she needed to go to the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio where she would have a better chance.


On that Monday, September 28th, Kyla had her surgery. This was the longest day of my life; they had me carry my baby in on the surgery table, which was the hardest thing I ever had to do in my life. I just kept telling myself, in the back of my mind just be strong. I walked out and waited with my husband and family. The doctors told us it would take about eight hours. We waited and waited and finally it was time, the doctor came out and said Kyla did fine in surgery. We were all in tears with joy. She stayed about four days in Cleveland. We came home and Kyla had a spell and we had to take her up to the hospital. She stayed back in the hospital for about a couple more weeks because the doctor said her body was not accepting the work they did on her heart. We were just lost for words. Our family and friends helped us and we stayed right beside Kyla. As days went on, she got better and we were able to bring her home, but this time for good.


Kyla is now healthy, and only sees her cardiologist once a year. She is very outgoing, goes to preschool and does everything a three and a half year old would do. Nothing slows Kyla down. She is our little sunshine. Kyla is always smiling and laughing. We thank God each and every day for her.


Story by Kyla's mom, Judy - Kentucky

bottom of page